Commercial garage doors protect your business or facility from intruders and the weather. However, they’re not one-size-fits-all. Many commercial overhead doors are custom because not every industrial garage door opening size is the same. Check out this guide to determine what size you need.
Commercial Garage Door Sizes
There are commercial overhead doors and sizes for various applications. The most common are roll-up, security grilles and insulated overhead.
These steel or aluminum commercial doors are great for saving space because they don’t require tracks. Instead, they open by rolling up and over the entrance. Standard roll-up door sizes are 30 by 30 feet, but can be 50 by 40 feet to accommodate larger openings. Optional high-traffic and temperature control features include faster opening and closing cycles and high cycle capability.
Here are the benefits of commercial roll-up garage doors.
- Security: Steel and aluminum are robust, damage-resistant materials. These doors have robust locking systems and no visible access points when closed.
- Easy maintenance: Roll-up doors have fewer parts that require regular lubrication. They can also tolerate damage, corrosion, rust and weather elements, necessitating fewer repairs.
- Energy efficiency: These doors provide a gapless seal when closed, preventing small animals from entering and air from flowing in and out of the building. You can choose an insulated roll-up door for further weather protection and temperature control.
- Durability: Overhead roll-up doors can last many years with proper maintenance. They can withstand frequent use and weather damage, and resist rust.
- Space-saving: Roll-up doors increase the available overhead and garage floor space.
Metal security grilles act as barriers that reinforce and protect doors and windows. They roll up and typically have an open design that provides visual access and air circulation. Full-closure models offer enhanced security. There are many patterns, styles and colors. Security grilles cover openings up to 40 feet wide and 20 feet tall.
Security grilles offer many benefits.
- Deterring crime: Criminals avoid businesses with security grilles because they can’t easily enter your property. Most burglars don’t have the ability, time and resources to attempt breaking into a building with a security grille.
- Low maintenance: Security grilles last for many years with routine maintenance.
- Design flexibility: You can customize your security grille by adding optional features to fit your opening and operation needs.
- Aesthetics: These curtains can add beauty and security. You can choose different patterns and finishes.
- Automatic: The grilles open and close using a remote or button.
Insulated Overhead Doors
Commercial overhead doors look sleek while providing energy efficiency and enhanced security. Clopay® Energy Series overhead sectional doors are insulated to reduce heating and cooling costs, and are durable and reliable for years. They come in standard warehouse door sizes and others with widths of 16, 24’2″ or 26’2″ feet and heights of 16, 18 or 20 feet. Clopay Energy Series with Intellicore® offers superior climate control. These doors are available in 18’2″, 24’2″, 30’2″, 32’2″, 36’2″ or 40’2″ feet wide and 16, 18 or 20 feet high.
The advantages of commercial overhead doors include the following.
- Customization: You can choose window options, glazing materials, color, material and other design features. There are also optional specialty and performance upgrades.
- Cost-saving: They feature polyurethane and polystyrene materials for excellent weather protection and climate control, saving you energy costs.
- Reliability: Clopay doors have robust, quality materials for maximum security and safety.
- Longevity: These doors last for many years with minimal maintenance.
What Type of Door Is Best for Your Industry?
Numerous industries benefit from commercial garage doors, but each requires a different type. Here are the various kinds of commercial overhead doors and their applications.
- Roll-up: Roll-up garage doors are perfect for warehouses, loading docks, storage buildings, automotive shops and high-security facilities like pharmacies, factories and transit centers.
- Security grilles: Security grilles are excellent for shopping malls, convention centers, garages, schools, building exterior openings, storefronts or areas within buildings, such as pharmacies or parts counters.
- Overhead doors: Standard overhead doors are ideal for repair shops, restaurants, manufacturing companies and retail stores.
How to Choose the Right Size for Your Business
You can customize commercial garage doors to fit any opening, and professionals can fit security grilles into walls during construction. However, you must measure the opening to choose the appropriately sized door. Here are the five measurements you need to find the correct size.
- Width: Measure the widest point of the opening. You want the measurement to be in exact feet and inches.
- Height: Find the highest point from the opening to the floor and measure the distance. Record this measurement in precise feet and inches.
- Sideroom: Measure to the left and right of the door’s opening to the nearest wall or obstacle. Allow 4-3/4″ on either side of the door for steel jamb construction and 3-3/4″ for standard masonry or wood jamb. Add a few inches to the measurement if your door has tracks. And allow for ample space, almost a foot, between doors.
- Headroom: Measure the distance between the opening’s top and the ceiling’s lowest point or nearest obstruction.
- Backroom: Measure the distance between the opening and the back wall or closest obstacle. The door height plus 23″ for 2″ track and 25″ for 3″ track is necessary for proper door installation.
Other Factors to Consider When Choosing a Commercial Garage Door
Aside from the size, there are other considerations when choosing a commercial garage door.
- Purpose: Knowing the door’s primary purpose helps you narrow down your choices. For instance, you might choose a security grille for a store and a roll-up door for an automotive shop.
- Weather resistance: If your region frequently experiences harsh weather conditions, you need a door that can withstand them.
- Energy efficiency: High-traffic areas and places requiring climate control need insulated doors.
- Security: Your desired level of protection helps you choose your door.
- Aesthetics: If you value aesthetics, decide whether you want a door that seamlessly integrates with your building’s design.
Let Us Help You Find the Size and Door You Need
Asheville Garage Door can help you find the perfect commercial garage door for your business or facility. We stock a wide range of options with various customization levels. With more than 25 years of experience in the industry, our knowledgeable and professional team can advise you on the best choices for your business. Browse our commercial garage doors, or contact us today to request a free estimate.